What are you doing this weekend? Hanging out with friends? Burning the midnight oil? Watching a new Netflix series?
Having a proper work-life balance is so important, especially now that most of us are working from home. It’s hard to physically distance ourselves from our home office or desk. Setting aside full, work-free weekends can help our brains refresh for the next week. Having a break from work actually helps you to perform better and enjoy your job more the next week!
Giving yourself time off also helps you prevent burnout from overworking. Plus, your body needs a break from working at a desk all week--your neck may be aching (often caused by poor posture), and your eyes could be sore from looking at a screen for too long.
On your days off, do things that help you relax! Here, we’ve listed 15 of our favourite, screen-free ways to relax on the weekends (because who wants to spend 7 hours at a computer only to come home and stare at a TV?).
15 Ways to Relax on the Weekends
1. Explore your city
. Take a walk down streets you haven’t been to, and visit all the tourist locations you’ve never seen.
2. Take a walk or hike
. Find a trail you haven’t walked and bring a friend on a new adventure. It’ll be a breath of fresh air, literally! Find your next hike with this handy trail locator
3. Go on a coffee crawl. Check out the local cafes, and bring a friend with you for an enriching day of catching up over coffee!
4. Bake some sweet treats
at home and deliver them to your friends. Make it a breeze by following one of these simple 5-ingredient dessert
5. While you’re in the kitchen, why not meal prep
for the week ahead? Try a recipe you’ve been meaning to cook, or whip up a simple one-pan dinner
for your household.
6. Draw up a luxurious bubble bath with all the bells and whistles--use a bath bomb, epsom salts, candles, and essential oils. Treat yourself!
7. Take a power nap
in the middle of the day. Go for a 10-20 minute nap
to feel rested without feeling groggy. Bonus points if you wash all your sheets
take a nap on them!
8. Dedicate an hour or two to just listen to music. Play all the way through your old favourite albums, or find new artists to listen to. Take a dance break and enjoy the tunes.
9. Pick up an instrument and learn a new song on it. Even better if you’ve never played it before! Learning and playing music helps to relieve stress and build creativity.
10. Work on an art project that you’ve been meaning to finish, or start a new craft! Crafting has been proven to reduce stress and anxiety. Plus, it’s always nice to finish a project!
11. Colour a picture (or doodle free-hand). It’s not just for kids! Colouring has been shown to reduce anxiety by calming your brain down. Check out some colouring sheets here.
12. Read or listen to a new book genre. Sci-fi fan? Try a western! Romance reader? Check out a mystery. Who knows? You might find your next favourite book.
13. Call a friend. At the end of a busy week, it’s refreshing to just chat! They’ll appreciate you taking time to connect with them.
14. Work on a puzzle. If you like that sense of accomplishment, putting together a tricky jigsaw might be just the thing!
15. Plan an elaborate dinner date, whether it’s with a spouse, partner, or friend. Fancy plates, candles, and champagne--pull out all the stops.
Whatever you choose to do on your weekends, make sure it’s something that calms you and helps you to unwind after a week of work. That way, you’ll be recharged and ready to go on Monday!
Looking For Ways to Reduce Physical Stress While Working From Home? EFFYDESK is here to help!
At EFFYDESK — we design, mould, and deliver the best Electric Standing Desk for professional or personal use. Our award-winning ergonomic office chairs ensure that office workers are protected against desk job damage, and are well-equipped to maximize efficiency and morale in the workplace — wherever that may be for you.
Browse our signature Standing Desks, Office Chairs, and Monitor Mounts designed to boost workplace productivity, so you can get more done, more comfortably.
To learn more about EFFYDESK’s products and services, be sure to check out our FAQ page or browse the blog archive for other helpful articles on ergonomics in the workplace.