10 Steps to Fit 10k Steps in a Workday: Treadmill Desk Setup
Throughout the years, 10K steps has become a popular goal in the fitness world. While there are various factors that determine the recommended number of steps for you personally, Reader's Digest reports that walking every day can help to improve concentration, strengthen your bones, and build muscle.
So, the more steps you can get in throughout your day, the better.
But how can you fit 10,000 steps into your daily routine when you're working from home?
It's a common misconception that you need to be outside in order to get your 10,000 steps. Many believe that you need to get your workout gear on and actually be outside in order to get your daily steps in, but this is simply not the case!
The truth is, it's possible to reach all of your daily steps needed during the workday with a treadmill desk setup.
Treadmill home office setups are becoming increasingly popular because they allow you to get in all of your steps without going outside.
If you have been looking for more ways to stay healthy and active from your home office, then a portable treadmill may be perfect for you.
In this post, we'll share how you can get your 10k steps in every day with a treadmill desk setup, and the best ergonomic office equipment to achieve optimal results with your WFH workout routine.
What is a treadmill desk setup and why should you use one?
A treadmill desk is a type of standing desk that incorporates a treadmill underneath the surface.
This setup allows you to walk while you work to help improve your fitness, productivity and motivation.
Benefits of using a treadmill desk setup
There are many benefits associated with a treadmill for your home office.
With this type of setup, you can walk at an adjustable pace while taking meetings, brainstorming ideas, or even while you're on a break to catch up on the latest episode of that Netflix series you've recently gotten into.
Regardless of your current physical activity level, a treadmill desk setup can help you work effectively and efficiently towards your fitness goals.
Benefits of using a treadmill include:
=> Less time spent having to travel outside your office for a workout
=> Can fit more workouts into one day
=> Ability to walk while talking on the phone or brainstorming ideas
=> More energy burning activities in a day which can improve productivity and moods
=> Motivation is easier when you're able to see all the steps that go into each workday
Overall, you'll feel a sense of accomplishment and assurance that you wouldn't normally be able to achieve if you had to take time out of your work day for your fitness routine.
It's a win-win!
Is a Treadmill Good for Weight Loss?
According to MedicineNet, with 30 minutes of brisk walking, you can burn about approximately 100-200 calories.
So, if you were to start brisk walking on your treadmill for at least 5 working days per week, you can work off anywhere between 500 and 1000 calories each week.
How Effective is Running on a Treadmill?
If you’re wondering how to lose weight on a treadmill, it’s important to know that the exact amount of calories burned for walking and running on a treadmill is determined by the person's weight.
How to build your own treadmill desk setup at home
Building your own under desk treadmill setup is easier than ever with EFFYDESK's new smart folding treadmill from Canada.
If you’re looking to buy a treadmill for home use and are curious how you’d be able to move a treadmill, our light and ultra-compact treadmill is also perfect for those who may not have as much space in their home office.
It can fit easily under a desk and covers only 0.11 m² of floor space when folded up!
Sleek and Stylish Design
No matter what your office aesthetic is, the ultra-sleek and minimal style of the WalkingPad will work as a great addition to your workspace.
No Installation Required
EFFYDESK WalkingPads come pre-installed so you won't have to worry about doing any special heavy lifting or set aside additional time out of your day to get started.
Simply unbox, and prepare to get your workout on!
The WalkingPad is a lightweight and portable treadmill that can easily be folded up and stored away when not in use. It only takes 3 seconds to open or close and comes with wall-absorption when placed in an upright storage position.
The best treadmill for your office or home setup
If you're looking to buy a small treadmill for home use or find an easy way to get in your 10,000 steps during the workday, look no further than right here at EFFYDESK.
The WalkingPad is perfect for treadmill running or brisk walking.
Best Home Office Treadmill
You may be wondering, "what is the best treadmill in Canada?"
You'll find that the best way to reach all of your daily steps needed during the workday is by using our foldable smart treadmill.
Our WalkingPad treadmill is a great option for those who want to stay active during the workday without having to leave the office.
This exercise machine folds easily when not in use, which allows it to take up less space than most other models available today. It's truly one of the best treadmills for home office.
You can workout in peace and quiet with our WalkingPad's whisper-quiet motors that are 65dB at 1.25 horsepower.
It also features a comfortable treadmill belt that comes in a four-layered design, boasting shock absorption and noise reduction, is free of static electricity and is anti-skid.
Smart Treadmill with Workouts Programs
EFFYDESK's WalkingPad provides an enjoyable running experience with the flexibility to choose your own speed and music with a built-in phone holder.
In addition to allowing you to walk during meetings without missing any key points discussed by colleagues, the treadmill's Smart Teaching app also comes with running courses that are suitable for all levels of fitness.
With the WalkingPad, you can also start, stop, and adjust your speed with DuerOS voice control, or simply use the automated Smart Speed Foot-Sensor Control that allows you to adjust speed by walking slower or faster.
Tips for using a treadmill desk correctly and safely
When it comes to using a treadmill or treadmill desk setup, one of the most important things to keep in mind is choosing the right footwear. This will help you stay safe and injury-free while working out.
Running shoes and jogging footwear are best when it comes to fitness routines that include a treadmill, as they offer more support and stability than other types of shoes. This is especially important if you’re planning to implement high intensity interval training into your routine.
Note: If you're not sure whether your current shoes are appropriate for your workout routine, it's always a good idea to speak with a doctor or health professional.
In addition to wearing the right shoes, be sure to take breaks often and drink plenty of water when working out on a treadmill. If you're working out a sweat, it's important to stay hydrated so you can focus on the task at hand, whether that's running or working while walking.
Stress-Free WalkingPad Safety Features
If you're planning your own treadmill standing desk setup, EFFYDESK's WalkingPad comes with safety features including a metal safety pedal, user-defined speed limits, overload protection, and a child-lock function.
Note: Some users may wonder, “are treadmills dangerous”? The answer is that you must follow the instructions on how to safely use the treadmill in order to prevent risks for injuries.
For the latest information about the WalkingPad's safety features and tips, always refer to the owner’s manual that arrives with your package.
10 Steps to Fit 10K Steps in a Workday with a Treadmill Desk Setup
Here are a 10 steps to get started with your treadmill workout:
- Find the right type of treadmill for your space and needs.
- Decide where you will set up your treadmill.
- Clear the immediate surrounding area in all directions to prevent potential risks of slipping or tripping (e.g. moving blankets out of the way)
- Use a standing desk while working if possible - this will allow for more movement throughout the day, which means you’ll burn more calories!
- Monitor your progress with a fitness tracker or heart rate monitor to ensure you're getting 10,000 steps per day.
- Start at an appropriate pace so that you can get in all 10k steps without being too tired or sore from walking on the same spot all day long.
- Take breaks every hour to stretch, and move around for 5-10 minutes each time.
- Use an adjustable ergonomic office chair to alternate between sitting and standing throughout the day. Alternatively, you may wish to use a Wobble Stool to practice active sitting when you're off the treadmill.
- Drink plenty of water - being hydrated will help you stay energized during your workday.
- Avoid eating high-calorie foods as they can offset all of your hard work! Try packing healthy snacks like fruits and vegetables instead.
Above all else, the three most important things to remember about using a treadmill at your home office are:
- Start slowly. It's important to start out slowly when using a treadmill desk, especially if you're not used to exercising at work. Build up the amount of time that you spend walking each day so that your body can get used to it gradually.
- Set a pace that works for you. The great thing about having a treadmill desk is that you can set the pace to fit your own needs! If you're struggling to focus on work while walking, try adjusting the speed settings of the treadmill by small increments until it becomes more comfortable for you.
- Stay hydrated! Make sure to drink plenty of fluids before, during, and after your workout.
Additional resources on how to fit 10k steps in a day with an office desk setup that includes a treadmill
If you are planning to supercharge your workspace with a foldable treadmill so you can accomplish quick workouts without having any time or space constraints, then you're on the right track to success.
But before you get started, it's helpful to know the best ergonomic office equipment for this type of workout routine.
What kind of accessories do I need?
Some standing desk users' work-from-home workout routine consists of simply switching from sitting to standing. For more advanced sit-stand setups, some users will also incorporate smooth-rolling table casters to their standing desks so they can move their desk around as needed to get their workout in.
To make the most out of your treadmill desk for the ultimate home office setup, it's a fantastic idea to implement the following into your workspace:
- Standing Desk: A standing desk (or sit-stand desk) is a motorized desk that allows a person to work while standing up, and generally comes with height adjustable features so you can switch between sitting and standing effortlessly. It's the most important feature to go with your treadmill to optimize your walk-while-working routine!
- Ergonomic Chair: An ergonomic chair is a type of adjustable office chair that is designed to reduce the risk of injury or pain associated with prolonged sitting. The adjustable features can help you feel relaxed while away from your treadmill.
- Wobble Stool: A wobble stool, also known as an active sitting stool, is a type of chair that encourages movement and helps to improve posture. A great way to stay active even when sitting.
- Table Casters: Table casters are a type of caster that attaches to the bottom of a table and allows the table to be moved easily. This is helpful for moving your standing desk around as needed for your workout routine.
- Anti-Fatigue Standing Mat: An anti-fatigue standing mat is designed to provide comfort and relief for people who stand for long periods of time. This is ideal for rest periods away from your treadmill.
All of these office furniture accessories are the perfect pairings to go with your new treadmill desk setup.
Ready to get your move on to reach your 10,000 steps?
As you can see, there are many ways that you can fit in your recommended number of steps each day with a treadmill desk setup. It provides an easy way for people who need to remain seated for most of their work (like yourself) to get their daily steps in.
With our easy-to-use and foldable WalkingPad, you can walk while you work and burn those extra calories in no time. If you’re ever looking for treadmill sales in Canada, you’ll love our 10% off storewide promo code: EFFY10.
If you have any questions about our WalkingPad product, please feel free to get in touch with our team anytime. We're always happy to help you learn more about how our ergonomic office furniture can help you reach your fitness and productivity goals while working from home.
EFFYDESK is an ergonomic office furniture company based in Vancouver, Canada. We believe an engaged workspace that enables routine movement is the future of work. Our mission is to provide innovative ergonomic products that help people work in happier and healthier workplaces.
To help you achieve this, we offer height adjustable Standing Desks (winner of The Consumr’s "Best Office Desk 2021" Award), Office Chairs, and desk accessories like anti-fatigue standing mats, monitor arms, filing cabinets, under-desk treadmills, and more.
Thousands of North American workers and corporate teams of all sizes have transitioned from sedentary lifestyles to staying active and upright at work by choosing EFFYDESK.
We’re excited to help you work more productively than ever, too.